Its amazing what used to pass for education in our youth.
A year ago, I wrote about the conflicting personality of Christopher Columbus, his downward spiral in the eyes of historians, and his controversial image among Americans today. A year later, and I still haven’t found a decent answer to this problem.
So I resorted to the next best thing–making fun of how we celebrated the old myths, through video.
Today’s video is a 1960 Mel-O-Toons classic cartoon about Columbus and his exploits. The younger kids…and I mean REALLY young…will enjoy the cartoons and songs. Older students can sit back and laugh at the absurd notions we were taught, such as:
2. White people were better because they learned to build houses and large sailing ships. (Again, I’m not kidding)
3. Columbus had doubters who thought the Earth was still flat. (Most educated people of the time understood it was round).
4. Ferdinand and Isabella were decrepit senior citizens.
5. Columbus’ sailers looked like fat gondoliers with handlebar mustaches.
6. The natives Columbus encountered were slack-jawed yokels with no personality.
7. Bad acapella singing can apparently conquer the world.
Have fun ripping this apart as I did. Enjoy.